Kimchi health benefits includes providing probiotics that help promote digestion, boosting immunity, providing fiber to the body, aid in weight management, assists in diabetes management, rich source of vitamin A, detoxifies the body, might cure eczema, helps prevent asthma attack, helps prevent ulcers, improves skin quality, might help fight cancer, and promotes healthy heart.
1. Promote Digestion
2. Boosts Immune System
3. Excellent Source of Fiber
4. Aids in Weight Management
5. Assists in Diabetes Management
6. Rich in Vitamin A
7. Detoxifies the Body
8. Suppress skin inflammation (eczema)
9. Improves Skin Quality
10. Prevention of chronic diseases
11. Promotes Heart Health
12. Regulates Cholesterol
13. Anti-aging Properties
1 kg (2 lb) Napa cabbage
1/2 cup coarse sea salt
5 cups water
4-5 garlic cloves
1 piece ginger (+ 5 cm)
1 small onion diced
3 tablespoon fish sauce (or 1 tablespoon dried shrimp flakes, 2 tablespoons fish sauce)
2 teaspoon sugar
5 tablespoon Korean chili flakes (or 3 tablespoon sambal oelek, 2 tablespoon paprika powder)
2 tablespoon apple juice with 1 teaspoon honey
2 red chilies seeded and thinly sliced, optional
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
2 green onions
1. Cut Napa cabbage in quarter, and remove stem. In a large bowl, add yellow small part of cabbage leaves as whole, and rest of bigger leaves cut into about 3 inch long and 1 inch wide then add into bowl as well. Doesn’t need to be exact sizes, actually uneven cut cabbage pieces
are better for texture.
2. Mix cold water and sea salt until salt has absorbed; pour over cabbage. Toss cabbage pieces to mix well with salted water and press it down as much as possible. Let it soak for at least 1 hour – 4 hours, toss frequently upside down so cabbage will soak evenly. When you can bend the thick part of the cabbage without snapping the leaves are ready
3. Meanwhile, let’s make the kimchi paste.
Blend all ingredients for kimchi paste accept sesame seeds and green onions (cut green onions into half in lengthwise then cut into 1 inch long pieces) in a mixing bowl and combine, set aside.
4. Drain salted cabbage and rinse well several times (taste it !) to get rid of excess salt and some dust. Drain completely about 5 minutes.
5. Combine cabbage and paste in a large mixing bowl and mix with your hand or spoon (we recommend you to wear a plastic glove, it is hot!) with gentle pressure and squeeze action, so cabbage will absorb color and flavor of paste very
Add toasted sesame seeds and green onions. Give a light final toss, eat right away or transfer to a glass container with a loose lid. Leave it for at least one night out on te counter to start the fermentation process. You can see the fermentation when it creates little bubbles. Close the lid and store in the fridge. The taste will intensify over time you can store it for at least 1 month.