XpBonaire IslandLife Feature Story
A year ago, in October, 2017, Multimart opened its doors on Bonaire. In October of this year, they expanded their showroom and shop space.
Often life on an island means limited shopping possibilities and high prices due to transportation costs and the lack of competition. That is why most residents welcome a new shop when it opens its doors.
For many years, Multimart’s owner worked successfully with household appliances in the European Netherlands and then decided to open a shop on the island of Curacao. After a few successful years, they decided to open the same shop, Multimart, on Bonaire.
A year ago there were not many places to buy household appliances on the island and they were somewhat overpriced and with limited service. It was the perfect time for Multimart Bonaire to open its doors and bring more alternatives to the island.
The biggest differences with Multimart are:
- All appliances are brought here from Europe with European quality standards and all are 220 volt/50 hertz.
- Another “big deal” is their great service. Not only do they deliver the appliances to your home, they install it, take away your old one and remove all of the packaging.
- Even though the European guarantees are not valid on Bonaire, Multimart buys directly from the supplier and can arrange repair and spare parts for you without any problem.
- Spare parts can always be ordered. If it takes longer than 5 days, you will receive a spare appliance from Multimart so you can continue with your life
- By buying 220 volt/50 hertz appliances, they will last longer and are energy saving.
Charles Vos, Multimart’s Manager, has lived on the island for the last 8 years. Charles’ parents are Dutch. He was born in Canada and moved to the Netherlands when he was 16 years old. For 20 years he lived and worked in the Netherlands, living in Amsterdam where he worked for 16 years with Golden Tulip and then as General Manager at several hotels.
At one point, Charles wanted to move out of the city and thought of moving to Belgium or the south of France. The headhunter he hired asked if he would also be interested in a location further away. That faraway destination was Bonaire and when he came to visit the island, he fell in love with Bonaire and moved here 12 weeks later.
After working as Manager at Sand Dollar and Divi Flamingo Resort, Charles decided to take a time out and travel to North and South America, frequently returning to the island. After 2 years, it was time for him to look for work back home on Bonaire. When the offer came to manage Multimart, Charles was excited about a brand new challenge in a new field.
He has learned a lot about appliances and their quality. Over his years on the island, he has experienced problems with service and quality himself, both professionally and personally. It is exactly the reason why service is taken so seriously at Multimart.
In the shop you will find a large variety of European brands, or European manufactured brands, such as Whirpool, Indesit, Beko, Nespresso and Philips to name a just a few.
Multimart is planning to expand their showroom to include professional appliances for use by the hospitality industry: ice machines, washers and dryers suitable for small resorts. You can also order the appliances you need.
Shop hours: Mo. - Fri. 9am – 6pm/Sat. 9am – 5pm
Phone: +599 717 1112/WhatsApp: +599 7 961112
Facebook: Multimart Bonaire